Immigrate to New Hampshire from Overseas

Immigrate to New Hampshire | Free State ProjectNow eclipsing 25,000 signers, the Free State Project has triggered the move to New Hampshire! Over 5,100 participants are already in the state helping to build a dynamic and diverse pro-liberty community. While uprooting lives and moving generally involves a series of headaches for anyone, our fellow libertarians born overseas face an additional set of obstacles. This page offers some helpful information and tips for hacking through the bureaucratic rigmarole.

As you plan your move, at times it will feel overwhelming, but just remember that millions of people - including some Free Staters - have gone through this process before you and are now American citizens. So, put on your hiking boots and let’s start climbing that bureaucratic mountain!

Related Website:
New Hampshire's Russian Speaking Community

Obtaining a Green Card

Before applying for citizenship, you’ll need a "Green Card", also known as an “immigration visa” or a “legal permanent resident card.” You can apply for a Green Card renewal every 3-5 years, depending on which visa you acquire. A Green Card holder is an immigrant who has been granted authorization to live and work in the U.S. You must obtain one of these Green Cards prior to applying for citizenship:

  1. Diversity Visa, also known as "the green card lottery" because you have less than a 1% chance of winning. If you're able to win, you'll be in good company - Carla Gericke, the President Emeritus of the Free State Project, won the green card lottery in 1996 when she was living in South Africa!
  2. Family Based Visas
    • Adoption
    • Immediate family member (Including unmarried children under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen; or Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old). Note: You might’ve heard of so-called "anchor babies" - a term that’s usually used in a derogatory tone for babies that are born in the U.S. to non-U.S. citizens. Any person born in the U.S. is granted instant U.S. citizenship, regardless of the parent’s citizenship status. However, as noted above, no child under 21 years old can sponsor their parent.
    • Spouse and their children
    • Fiancé and their children
  3. Student Visas
  4. Work Visas
  5. Investor Visas
  6. On behalf of your spouse and/or your children, you can apply as a Refugee and acquire Asylum because of a well-founded, established fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
  7. Other Visas

Becoming a United States Citizen

With your Green Card, you can now advance to becoming a U.S. Citizen!

  1. To be eligible for citizenship, you must be at least 18 years of age, have a Green Card, and have at least 5 years of permanent residency (3 years if your permanent residency was obtained through marriage).
  2. Complete a naturalization form, called Form N-400 and pay the application fee. Avoid the five most common reasons that your Form N-400 may get denied.
  3. After you receive a notice of receipt from USCIS for Form N-400, complete the FBI Criminal Background Check.
    • Have your fingerprints taken at any authorized location, including any USCIS office, Application Support Center, or a U.S. consular office or military installation abroad. There's a location in Concord, NH. Background checks and fingerprinting are done by appointment only, so make sure you call ahead.
    • Bring a photo ID and your completed Criminal Record Release Form to the appointment.
    • Make payment by check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express).
  4. Once your application is complete, and you have passed the background check, you will be scheduled for your USCIS interview, in which you’ll be asked up to 10 of these 100 questions. Be on time, remain calm, and avoid jokes and sarcasm.
  5. You will receive written notice when your application for naturalization has been granted, then you will be asked to swear an oath of allegiance to the United States.

That's It!

Congratulations, you made it! Now, you can legally live, work, and vote in NH as part of the most exciting liberty movement in over 200 years. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up and start planning your move today! See ya soon!

Additional Resources:

  • Do you need more time to decide before you apply for a Green Card or to become a U.S. citizen? Visit New Hampshire with a J-1 Visa! If you have the right skills, maybe you’ll find a spouse or an employer who’ll sponsor you while you’re here!
  • General tips for filling out forms with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  • Frequently Asked Questions about US Visas.
  • If you need help processing your visa application, contact the USCIS Application Support Center for NH.
  • The International Institute of New England helps refugees and immigrants with resettlement, case management, health and mental health service navigation, employment, education and literacy, and civic engagement. Contact their Manchester office for assistance (; 1-603-647-1500).
  • You may be eligible for low-cost immigration counseling and legal representation through Catholic Charities New Hampshire. Contact their Manchester (1-603-669-3030 or 1-800-562-5249) or Nashua (1-603-889-9431) offices for assistance.
  • If you have questions for your fellow Free Staters, feel free to post in the FSP International Facebook group. If you prefer email instead, please reach out to

Note: This page should not be considered legal advice. Please consult a licensed immigration attorney for legal counseling. The government may change any of the information gathered on this page without any notice.